Ruthie’s Birth Story


Our care with AAB didn’t start until I wen through two other care providers and lovingly found peace when I walked through the door at All About Babies when I was 35 weeks pregnant. My labor started early in the morning on October 21, 2018.  I woke Blake up and told him we were going to have a baby! Called my parents to come get Helen so we could labor at home, and called my midwife to let her know contractions were 4-5 minutes apart and pretty easy.

We went in around 10:30 am and was at a 1 and 70-80% effaced. I knew I wasn’t ready to stay there, so we went to Highland Village to walk around. Everything slowed way down, so we went home so I could nap. That evening, I wanted Helen to come home so she did and after spending time with her, my contractions picked back up.

The power of oxytocin! We put her to bed and tried to lay down and rest. Between 10-11 pm they picked back up and by 11 pm I couldn’t stay in bed anymore. Started timing them, and they were 3 minutes apart.

Called my parents to come spend the night, called my midwife and doula, Hannah, then woke Blake and we agreed to meet Kathleen at the birth center at 12:30 am. At that point I was 4 centimeters dilated and fully effaced! I could stay! I started laboring in this beautiful birth suite and my sister got there around 1 am.


I needed a lot of counter pressure from my husband and doula.  At some point, maybe around 2:30 or 3, I got in the tub and that helped so much! I still thought I had a long way to go, and was surprised when I got pushy because she didn’t feel like she had descended yet, but that got her down the rest of the way and the midwife checked me and I was complete. Her heart rate stayed in the 130s-140s the whole time.

My water still hadn’t broken when I started pushing and I pushed 3-4 times and she shot out! She was born en caul and Kathaleen had to break the sack as she came out. It was so cool! I had always dreamed of having a baby en caul! She went straight to my chest, started crying and they covered her with a towel to keep her warm.

We didn’t check to see the sex until probably 5 minutes later! I was totally surprised. This pregnancy felt soooo different than Helen’s and I just knew it was a boy. Blake knew Ruthie was a girl the whole time! I delivered the placenta, moved to the bed to nurse and eat a hot meal, then we did the healing bath for Ruthie and I.

The midwife examined me and got me taken care of, then did the newborn exam (probably 2 hours after she was born.) She suspected a lip tie and everything else looked great. Diana checked Ruthie and gave her apgar scores of 9 and 10 at birth. That was a big comfort having her as part of the birth team, especially since our first daughter had needed some oxygen support and we weren’t sure how this second birth would go. 

We were home by 8:15 am! Helen got to meet her immediately and spent the day with her grandparents. We all needed a nap so we slept. Breastfeeding was tough, and we went to the dentist on Wednesday to get her tongue and lip tie revised. It’s been much better since, and she’s growing beautifully! Everything about our experience was wonderful; I only wish I would’ve had my entire pregnancy care there.